A Rare Glimpse

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Nav's retreat was this past weekend and it was mostly dreary, rainy, cloudy weather. But getting to whip down a zip line over the camp (just like in the Amazing Race!) was so exhilarating and adrenaline pumping that it made up for the crummy weather completely! Got strapped into a harness quite like the kind for rock climbing, climbed up several flights of stairs to the top of a platform (I could see far enough down the hillside, so it was pretty high up), was hooked onto a zip line, sat at the edge of the platform for a few seconds before countdown, and made the plunge with another Navs girl in a Queen's vs Western race! :) The initial freefall drop was a little crazy and scary, but zooming down the line down the hill and over the water was absolutely fantastic! I guess it helped that I don't really have a big fear of heights. He he. Definitely worth the $94 I shelled out.

Fall retreats are always exciting too because I get to meet fellow Navs people from across Ontario. Catch up with old friends, get to know new people (and see how there is 6 degrees of connection!). We had some hilarious laughs with impromptu freeze role-playing. There are some pretty good and creative actors in the group who can really think on their feet. Too bad the weather prevented any late night euchre/poker/bridge/dutch blitz games, although luckily, it only rained at night. Which means the group was able to contribute some labour hours in the afternoon on Saturday for the camp - scraping old paint and repainting fresh coats on the cabins, raking leaves, moving gravel rocks back to the driveways. I helped rake leaves and pine needles, worked up a sweat, got bitten several times by annoying little flying bugs that loved to buzz around the head, found a dead mouse in the leaves, loaded all the leaves onto a tractor...that was the extent of my exercise for the weekend. :P Well...I lied. I forgot that I bounced around on the trampoline several times with the staff kids...they have so much energy! And bouncing on a trampoline really works out the abs and core muscles! You just don't realize you're "exercising" because it's so much fun (great way to "trick" kids into exercising, hehe).

More on what the speaker had to say later...